Homes, condos and land for sale and rent in San Jacinto, CA
Notice: Undefined variable: nocc_ftxt_dop in /var/www/intre/data/www/intre.info/plugin/1477924025v7/connectors/scodes/ire_futured_box.php on line 33
Website is disconnected from CRMLS. Please renew your subscription and we will reconnect your website within one business day.
The city is home to Mt. San Jacinto College, a community college founded in 1965. San Jacinto will also be home to the eastern end of the Mid County Parkway, a planned route that would eventually connect it to the city of Perris. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the city became a home to many dairies, and a center for agriculture.
San Jacinto also is home to the Soboba Casino, a gaming casino owned and operated by the Soboba Band of Luiseno Indians. The Sobobas are sovereign and self-sufficient in community affairs. They have opened an Indian tribal school, the Noli Academy.
In 1883, the San Jacinto Land Association laid out the modern city of San Jacinto at Five Points. The railroad arrived in 1888 and the city government was incorporated that same year. Since local geological records have been kept, the city has been struck by two large earthquakes, one on Christmas Day 1899, and the other on April 21, 1918.
The local economy was built on agriculture for many years and the city also received a boost from the many tourists who visited the nearby hot springs. The city, and its residents, helped to start the Ramona Pageant ( California’s official State Outdoor Play), in 1923, and have supported the historic production ever since.
On July 15, 1937, San Jacinto was the end point for the longest uninterrupted airplane flight to that date when Mikhail Gromov’s crew of three made the historic 6,262-mile (10,078 km) polar flight from Moscow, USSR in a Tupolev ANT-25. This flight followed another similar historic flight over the pole when Valery Chkalov’s crew of three ended up in Vancouver’s Pearson Airfield earlier that same year. With these two flights, the USSR earned two major milestones in the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) flight records. In the early 1950s the fraternal group E Clampus Vitus and the Riverside County Department of Transportation commemorated the Gromov flight by erecting a stone marker on Cottonwood Avenue, just west of Sanderson Road in west-central San Jacinto. The landing site is also marked by California State Historical Landmark Number 989.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 26.1 square miles (68 km2), of which, 25.7 square miles (67 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (1.59%) is water.
The San Jacinto reservoir is an artificial lake used as a basin for the San Diego Aqueduct, a branch of the Colorado River Aqueduct, west of town.
The Census reported that 43,971 people (99.5% of the population) lived in households, 169 (0.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 59 (0.1%) were institutionalized.
There were 13,152 households, out of which 6,460 (49.1%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 6,954 (52.9%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 2,121 (16.1%) had a female householder with no husband present, 912 (6.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 938 (7.1%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 111 (0.8%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 2,459 households (18.7%) were made up of individuals and 1,231 (9.4%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.34. There were 9,987 families (75.9% of all households); the average family size was 3.81.
The population was spread out with 14,487 people (32.8%) under the age of 18, 4,404 people (10.0%) aged 18 to 24, 11,885 people (26.9%) aged 25 to 44, 8,755 people (19.8%) aged 45 to 64, and 4,668 people (10.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30.3 years. For every 100 females there were 95.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.4 males.
There were 14,977 housing units at an average density of 573.2 per square mile (221.3/km²), of which 8,943 (68.0%) were owner-occupied, and 4,209 (32.0%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 5.7%; the rental vacancy rate was 10.3%. 28,777 people (65.1% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 15,194 people (34.4%) lived in rental housing units.
According to the 2010 United States Census, San Jacinto had a median household income of $47,453, with 18.9% of the population living below the federal poverty line.
The city is also home to the Estudillo Mansion, which was home to Francisco Estudillo, who was the city’s first postmaster and was elected as the city’s second mayor. The mansion also has a twin mansion built by Estudillo’s brother, Jose Antonio Estudillo, Jr. The two mansions and the grounds are all that remains of the original 35,000-acre (140 km2) Mexican land grant given to the brother’s father, Jose Antonio Estudillo in 1842. The mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and on the California Register of Historic Resources. This is only the third Riverside County site to receive this honor. Francisco lost his mansion to foreclosure in 1901, but even though Jose, his brother, died in the same year, his family retained his mansion and property, including the olive grove, and it was considered the Estudillo Estate, becoming the site of many family events, and a couple of family burials, until it was sold in 1919. Seven years later, Adelaide, Jose’s wife died in Riverside.